Cook turkey neck, giblets (optional), and wings (if you cut them off) in enough water to make the amount of gravy you want. I add things to the water like parsley, clove garlic, 1/4 onion, a stalk celery and a carrot to give the broth some flavor. I also add chicken bouillon (1 t. per cup of water).
After about 2 hours I strain the broth and proceed with the gravy. You can also refrigerate the broth over night so that the fat rises to the top and hardens. That way you can discard the grease, and the gravy will be less fattening.
Heat the broth. In the meantime, prepare a mixture of flour and broth or water. Mix until smooth and add to the boiling broth. Stir until well blended. If the gravy is still too thin, make another flour mixture until you have the desired consistency for the gravy. I also add the drippings from the turkey. The gravy may need some salt.
P.S. I don't ever use the gravy packet that comes with the turkey. It just tastes too artificial.
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment