This recipe is from my Mom, Luann
1/3 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
1 2/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Cream shortening, sugar. Add eggs and dry ingredients, water, nuts and pumpkin. Bake at 350 degrees - 60 minutes in greased formed loaf pan. Cover with foil for the last 10 minutes. Note: My Mom sometimes cooks in a greased round coffee tin, standing up, and then uses a can opener on the bottom to take it out. Makes it nice and round.
Serve with cream cheese frosting, butter or just plain - it's that delicious!
(Recipe and photo courtesy of Erin Lawson)

1 comment:
Since Ryne can't have walnuts yet, I've been adding some finely chopped walnut to half of the batter once it's already in the loaf pan! I actually prefer it without the walnuts too. And, I eat it plain...it's THAT good!
Post a Comment