Monday, November 24, 2008

Pumpkin Roll


Cake:
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 - 3/4 cup pumpkin
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
powdered sugar

Filling:
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
6 Tbs. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
powdered sugar

For cake: Grease 15x10 pan; lined with wax paper, and grease and flour paper.
Combine ingredients (not nuts), and mix well. Spread evenly into prepared pan. (Sprinkle with nuts.) Bake at 375 for 13-15 min, or until top of cake springs back when touched. While baking, prepare a clean cotton kitchen towel (or wax paper), by sprinkling it with powdered sugar. Once out of the oven, immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.

For Filling: Beat ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cooled cake, and remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake, and wrap in plastic wrap (or wax paper). Refrigerate at least one hour, and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.

(Recipe and photo courtesy of Pirijo Silver)
I hear they freeze well.

3 comments:

Pirijo and Donny said...

As a disclaimer, I should mention that, I got the recipe off the back of a Libby’s can (and made minor changes). Also, this was actually the first time I’ve ever attempted a pumpkin roll, and found that it’s much easier than I’ve always thought. I was very pleased with the way it turned out (very good). As a personal preference piece of advice, you may want to only use 2/3 of the filling, because it is pretty sweet.

Lady Lawson said...

Ha ha ha! I have the same recipe (off the can) and was going to try it someday! Looks yummy!!!

Lin and Didi Lawson said...

This looks wonderful. I never tried it, but always wanted to, but was afraid that I would fail.