This recipe is from AllRecipes.com and I named it "Third Time's A Charm" because that's how many batches it took me to get it (almost) right. See my note in Comments!
Batter:2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (8 ounce) container vanilla yogurt
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons milk
1 small tart apple - peeled and chopped
1/3 cup raisins
Topping:
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon cold butter or margarine
In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Combine the yogurt, egg, oil and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in apple and raisins if desired (batter will be thick). Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full (see my note in Comments about the muffin cups!)
For topping, combine flour, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Cold butter (or margarine) is essential, and once it starts to get crumbly, do not go much longer or it becomes almost like a paste. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-24 minutes (see Comments) or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
(Recipe and photos courtesy of Erin Lawson)

1 comment:
After apple picking this past weekend, I was desperate to find a new, yummy recipe using apples. We have so many apples we don’t even know what to do with. Anyway, little guy loves baked goods and is a big fan of apples, yogurt and raisins, so I was intent on making this recipe work. It took me THREE times to get it (almost) right.
1st batch: Totally my own fault. I was super distracted while making these and added baking SODA instead of baking POWDER. A big no-no! Oops! Needless to say, the first batch burned black…Mmmm, I like it like that (not)!
2nd batch: Used baking POWDER this time (Yippee!) but “greased” the muffin tins with fat-free butter flavored cooking spray. Baked for 20 min. The tops of the muffins looked fine, but upon taking them out of the pans, the sides and bottom were fairly dark and I knew they were supposed to be very light (almost white) in color. I assume it’s because of the cooking spray, although they did not stick to the pan…so that was a plus.
3rd batch: Instead of greasing the pan, I resorted to using paper muffin cups, even though some of the reviews on the site said that the muffins stuck to the paper cups. And, I only baked them for 18 min. The color was much better (and they were definitely done) but they did indeed stick to the paper cups.
So…NEXT time (if there is a next time) I will use the silver ALUMINUM baking cups instead of paper and bake for NO MORE than 18 min.
If you are feeling brave, may I please wish you GOOD LUCK!
Post a Comment