Sunday, December 7, 2008

Rouladen


1 thin breakfast steak per serving*
mustard (I use dijon)
dill pickles
carrot sticks
sliced bacon
tomato paste
green onion
salt and pepper

*I usually pick out a beef round roast, and have the meat counter slice me off some very thin slices (some of them actually know what a Rouladen is, and understand what I need). If the slices are still a little too thick, pound it with a meat mallet.



Salt and pepper meat. Spread one side lightly with mustard, the other with tomato paste. Assemble a slice of bacon, a carrot stick, half a pickle and a piece of green onion on top of mustard side of steak. Roll meat and fasten with toothpicks. Brown in hot fat (butter) until evenly browned on all sides. Add enough water for gravy and cook until meat is tender (about 1 1/2 hrs.). Remove meat and thicken gravy. (Makes wonderful gravy.)



Serve with Spaetzle.
(Recipe courtesy of Didi Lawson, photos courtesy of Pirijo Silver)

1 comment:

Lady Lawson said...

I love all of your recipes lately! You're doing a terrific job with the blog...I guess I haven't really been making anything "new" lately, thus my last of recent posts.

You're such a good "German" cook!!! Way to go!