Growing up in Germany we used to eat soft boiled eggs fairly regularly, but we seemed to get out of the habit when we moved to America. I have notice that it's rare to see it even offered in America. Well, now that we raise chickens of our own, and have plenty of eggs to spare, I've been making them again for my family. My kids absolutely love them.
Directions:
Bring a pan of water to a boil first. Then you gently place your eggs in the boiling water with a spoon. Let the eggs cook in the boiling water for 5 minutes*. Take the eggs out, and eat them immediately (otherwise the soft yolk firms up as it cools).
*The time can vary on altitude, and size of the egg. (For our extra large eggs I need to add about 10 seconds.)
Helpful Hint: if you have very fresh eggs, right after you take them out of the boiling water, place the eggs in ice water for 5-10 seconds. This will make it easier to peel the shells off.
(photo courtesy of Pirijo Silver)

No comments:
Post a Comment