Sunday, April 21, 2013

Obst Torte (Fruit Tart)

You'll amaze your family and friends with this super easy to make Torte.  And it's low-cal, too.  No fat.

Ingredients for one Torte
3 eggs
4 T cold water
2/3 c. flour
2/3 c. corn starch
1 c. sugar
1 t baking powder
1 t vanilla

Beat egg yolks and water until creamy. Add sugar and mix well.  Add flour, corn starch, baking powder and vanilla and mix well again.  Set aside.
Beat egg whites until stiff, then fold them into the batter.
Line a spring form with wax paper and fill with the batter.  Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes.  (I forgot to line the form with the wax paper, and the cake came out just fine.) Place cake upside down on a platter and gently peel off the wax paper.

When the cake has cooled, start decorating.  Spread vanilla pudding over the cake before arranging various fruits.  Be creative with your designs!
In Germany we have a clear glaze (also available in red for strawberry cake) to spoon over the fruit, but I haven't found anything like that here in the States.  I'm sure there is something similar.  It looks like Knox gelatine.  You can experiment with it, but I still had some German stuff.

Have fun with it!

Ingredients for two cakes (just slice the cake in half horizontally with string)
5 eggs
6 T cold water
1 1/4 c. flour
1 1/4 c. corn starch
1 2/3 c. sugar
2 t baking powder
1 t vanilla

Continue as above.

No comments: