Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Rice Pudding (with cooked rice)

I've always enjoyed the simple treat of rice pudding, however, I never make it, because it just takes too long to cook.  
Now, I don't know about you, but when I make a rice dish for dinner, I inevitably end up with some rice left over.  So I asked myself, "why can't I make rice pudding with the leftover rice?"  After searching online, and dabbling with some recipes, this is what I came up with.  And now I find myself purposely making too much rice, just so I can have some rice pudding.




2-3 C cooked rice
1 1/2 C milk
1/3 C sugar
1 1/2 Tbl. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
dash nutmeg

In a pot on the stove, heat the milk and butter.  Once the butter is melted, and the milk is warm, add the sugar and vanilla.  Mix well, until the sugar is dissolved.  Add the rice and spices, and let simmer on low until most of the moisture is cooked off.  Make sure to stir frequently, as not to allow the milk to burn.
Serve warm (add a dash of cinnamon on top of serving, if desired)

(Recipe and photo courtesy of Pirijo Silver)

No comments: