Monday, June 9, 2014

Skillet Rice

This can be a simple side dish, or a main dish if you add some meat and veggies (like the picture shows).


1 1/2 C white rice
5 Tbl. butter
1 C chicken broth (or beef)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion flakes
pepper to taste (maybe 1/4 tsp.)
salt to taste (I used onion salt - maybe 1/2 tsp.)
1 1/2 C water

In a large skillet, melt the butter, and add the rice, garlic powder, onion flakes, and pepper.  Stirring frequently, saute' the rice until it starts to brown.  Add the broth, water and salt.  *If you want to add in any cooked meat and or veggies, this is also the time you add those.
Stir all ingredients together, and bring to a boil.  Turn the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for about 15-20 min.  Check (without stirring) to see if you need to add a bit more water.

*For the recipe in the picture I added:  1/2 C frozen corn, 1 can diced tomatoes (the liquid  was part of the 1 1/2 C water), 1 C cooked chicken (I used rotisserie chicken), and a handful of fresh chopped cilantro.

Another variation I've used, that's very good is:  1/2 lb. thinly sliced kielbasa sausage, and about 1 C mixed veggies.

Makes 6-8 servings.

(Recipe inspired from Food.com, and photo courtesy of Pirijo Silver)

No comments: