Thursday, August 22, 2013

Zucchini Bread

I'll have to confess that I've never been a big fan of Zucchini.  However, when a friend gives you one of their giant homegrown Zucchinis that's worthy of a blue ribbon prize at the county fair, what are you supposed to do? 
Since the only way I've ever liked Zucchini was as Zucchini bread, the first thing I did, was search the web for a spectacular bread recipe.  I found one!  I love it, and more importantly, the kids love it too.
 


3 Eggs
1 C vegetable oil
2 C sugar
3 tsp. vanilla
3 C flour
1 tsp. salt
1tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 C grated zucchini
1 C chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together very well, to make sure the eggs are well beaten.  Add in the flour, salt, baking soda and powder.  The dough will be thick at this point, but don't worry.  Incorporate the zucchini (and nuts if you wish), making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.  (The moisture from the zucchini has thinned out the dough just right.) 
Grease and flour 2 bread pans, and pour in the dough.  Bake at 325 for 50-60 min. (employ toothpick test).  Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes, and then remove from pan to cool completely.
Makes 2 loaves.
Enjoy!

(Recipe and photo courtesy of Pirijo Silver.)

No comments: