Monday, October 5, 2009

Chocolate Ice Cream Cake Roll


4 eggs (separated)
3/4 C sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 C flour
1/4 C cocoa
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3 C Ice Cream (softened)

Line 15" x 10" pan with waxed paper and grease and flour; set aside.
Beat egg yolks, and gradually add sugar and vanilla. Add flour, cocoa and baking powder (mixture will be thick). In a separate bowl beat egg whites and salt until peaks form. Add the egg whites to the cocoa mixture.
Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350 for about 15 min (employ the toothpick test). Immediately turn out cake onto a clean kitchen towel or wax paper that is generously sprinkled with powdered sugar. Roll cake up in the towel or paper, from the long side, and let cool. Unroll cake and spread with the softened ice cream. Re-roll and freeze until firm. (I made one with Raspberry sherbet, and one with Chocolate chip ice cream - they were both great!)



If you prefer a creamy filling rather than ice cream, here's a recipe for you.

Chocolate Cream Cheese icing
8oz. Cream cheese (room temp)
1/4 c butter (room temp)
4 c powdered sugar (sifted)
1/2 c cocoa (sifted)
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream the cheese and butter, till it's smooth. Add in the sugar and cocoa, and cream. Finally mix in the vanilla, and spread on evenly. Enjoy!

(Recipe and photos courtesy of Pirijo Silver.)

2 comments:

Lady Lawson said...

WOW!!! Fancy stuff!!! I will need to try this "roll" thing of yours (like the pumpkin one from last year!). I'll have to call if I have ?s though...it seems complicated!

Hope Donny had a great bday!

Lin and Didi Lawson said...

I've never tried anything fancy like this. It looks yummy.